Thursday, March 14, 2013

Writing is Thinking

If you aren't using Scrivener - and I aren't but intend to - for organizing writing and other projects you're in for a treat.

And in following Scrivener on Twitter I came across a great testimonial from a user. And the line he wrote that I took away is 'writing is thinking'

Because I've been wondering 'what the crapzaki am I posting this stuff for?'

And it became clear that most of why I write, is because I like to think, and putting things in words takes some of the pressure off trying to hold everything between your ears.

So I do it for pleasure. Or therapy. Or both.

Now writing for others is a whole different beast. Last night Bruno said "We've got to make art for arts sake" and I said "That's bullshit, I make art for attention" - even though I knew it wasn't really true.

What it made me realize is that I write because I'm constantly trying to figure things out FOR MYSELF - and that's ok. It doesn't pay the bills, but its why I do it.

Now writing for others is a beast of a different colour, and I'm recognizing now why I've never really overcome my resistance to it.

It's a bit too much of a performance - a bit too much of 'do I need people to tell me my ideas are good before I believe my ideas are good?' -- it's where people who work a job and do their art for themselves are probably much happier than guys like me who are trying to do both. Ultimately, I mainly just write for myself - and then wonder why the shit I rush to the web isn't super fascinating.

So that's Thursday. It's got me thinking a little more clearly on how my motivations are a bit muddled and how trying to reconcile Money and Art is possible, but might lead you down some dead ends and twisty roads before you get anywhere.

Which I think has left me somewhat more comfy.

How about you, loyal readers and automated web bots? Any empty dharmas that have stared you in the face until you managed to look at them differently?

No comments: