Friday, March 15, 2013

The Truth will lead you to Fiction

When I think of some of the things I want to say it makes me realize its time to write fiction. Too personal, too private, too easily misconstrued, too true. I was having the conversation this evening.
“You need to shut down your Facebook profile and do something else. If I knew you were x y z I wouldn't hire you. You can't tell people that.”


And I was like : “Why, because we're living in Fear? I should be screaming this stuff to the rooftops, standing up to the Man. Would it be better if your sister was still closeted? It's taken generations for society to get even a little bit rainbow. I shouldn't be keeping this stuff in, I feel like I've kept too much stuff in.”

It's something I struggle with. If I had the slightest pair, wouldn't I be out in the world, telling people everything I believed in? Wouldn't I refuse to play it safe, fearful of what other people think of me? And it's difficult. Because I know plenty of misfits - plenty of people lacking rudimentary social skills of what to say when, what to reveal, what to hide. I know a bit about posturing, bluffing, biting your tongue. It's a skill set.

But it can also be a straitjacket.

So yeah, maybe fiction.


No comments: